Havershome Vampire

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Vampire:the Masquerade game set in the fictional town of Havershome, Scotland

3 posters

Talking Points

James
    James
    Admin

Talking Points Empty Talking Points

Post  James Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:38 am

Just a couple of things that I found myself thinking about while designing this. Feel free to chip in if desired, but I really just post so you can see some of the thinking.

Prince Elaine was Embraced at fifteen in, if she is to be believed, the late fifteenth century. At that time I don't think she'd have had the Childe flaw - she could well have been married and running a household. Now of course she would. Of course, as Prince she likely doesn't interact with that many mortals but taking an equivalent character I imagine it'd lead to a whole load of bitterness.

Ghouls and love - I actually thought about this during Embrace wrt Hank. Jess had appearance 5 and Hank was straight. He wanted to see her boobies because, hey, they were awesome. So far so good. But he was also a ghoul. The rules for the blood bond seem to leave so much open to STs. Are ghouls sexually attracted to their domitors regardless? At all? Only if genitalia and personal preferences match? Essentially, what do they actually think about the person who's the most important thing in their life. Sex seems obvious but doesn't, I think, catch everything. Hell, ghouls are creepy - how many do you reckon creep into their masters room while they're asleep and fuck them? Is necrophilia common in ghouls? Leaving sex aside, can a ghoul maintain a a relationship with anyone else? How do they feel about other ghouls of the domitor?

Dùghall
    Dùghall

Talking Points Empty Re: Talking Points

Post  Dùghall Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:38 am

James wrote:Just a couple of things that I found myself thinking about while designing this. Feel free to chip in if desired, but I really just post so you can see some of the thinking.

Prince Elaine was Embraced at fifteen in, if she is to be believed, the late fifteenth century. At that time I don't think she'd have had the Childe flaw - she could well have been married and running a household. Now of course she would. Of course, as Prince she likely doesn't interact with that many mortals but taking an equivalent character I imagine it'd lead to a whole load of bitterness.

Totally agree with the logic there, I think this would apply to many older vampires and in that it is a very very interesting flaw. Of course the difference in regard to that flaw is also gender based even there ... gender and vampires is a strange thing , allthough I think it has been brought up by the Canon (Lassombra book I believe ?).

Added to that would Assamites for example out of Yemen where "child" marriages are common have less of a problem with the child flaw in female vampires, or come to that , mormons? I don't know but I would imagine them having less trouble dealing with Elaine for example apart from the cultural differences regarding women in general Razz.

James wrote:Ghouls and love - I actually thought about this during Embrace wrt Hank. Jess had appearance 5 and Hank was straight. He wanted to see her boobies because, hey, they were awesome. So far so good. But he was also a ghoul. The rules for the blood bond seem to leave so much open to STs. Are ghouls sexually attracted to their domitors regardless? At all? Only if genitalia and personal preferences match? Essentially, what do they actually think about the person who's the most important thing in their life. Sex seems obvious but doesn't, I think, catch everything. Hell, ghouls are creepy - how many do you reckon creep into their masters room while they're asleep and fuck them? Is necrophilia common in ghouls? Leaving sex aside, can a ghoul maintain a a relationship with anyone else? How do they feel about other ghouls of the domitor?

Again complex and up to ST and/or player.
    Physically the lubrication/bloodspending could be an issue Wink, but that is just a technicality. I think the "bride of Jesus" phenomenon experienced (from what I understand in it being related in various literature etc.) of Nuns (possibly also Monks) would be a better annalogy.

We then start leaning towards the Cult status which Vampires held in the past according to Canon. (Some interesting ones among the Malkavians with definite sexual undertones Wink, can't remember her name now, but blood flowing as male worshipers castrated themselves in ecstatic dances ... hmm.

Yeah Ghopuls are creepy!

I think Ghouls can have relationships, but they would be complex, again Clergy analogy seems most appropriate ...

Just my 2cents
    Jason McBain
    Jason McBain

Post  Jason McBain Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:44 am

At the end of the day I think the closest real-world analogy has to be the relationship between junkie and supplier. The junkie loves/craves the blood and consequently has a very dependent attitude toward the domitor. Moreover, it is my understanding from the Ghoul book, that ghouls take on aspects of the domitor so, the domitor takes on two roles as both supplier and role-model. That would be a hard habit to kick but, in real-life, junkies do have lives outside of everything in the drug sphere so to speak. I'd imagine, based on the desires of the domitor, a ghoul could have a life away from them (but on a long or short leash).

On the former point, if she had been embraced in the 15th century, then 15 years old was, roughly, the middle of her life. Childhood tended to end (as now) at puberty, but adolescence was not an issue (one day, child, next day, adult). Okay, maybe not quite so abrupt, maybe a little more leeway the higher up the social scale one goes.
    Dùghall
    Dùghall

Post  Dùghall Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:02 am

Is this the place to quote Carl Marx ?
    Spoiler:
    James
    James
    Admin

Post  James Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:22 am

Well, lets not pluck quotes out of context:

Spoiler:

Translation (by me) "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the mind of a heartless world, as it is the soul of a souless condition. It is the Opium of the People." (I deeply dislike "Volks" being translated as "Masses". Menschen is masses, Volks has connotations of citizenhood, of national identity, etc.)

Point is, Marx wasn't being as critical of religion(there at least) as is commonly suspected.
    Dùghall
    Dùghall

Post  Dùghall Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:40 am

In a world ruled by vampires it actually fits even better to describe the Ghoul then Wink
    James
    James
    Admin

Post  James Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:51 am

Incidentally, when I was studying Theology I read a lot of Kant. And Christ was that hard work. I've just read the rest of that essay and its equally unreadable. There was clearly some trend in 18th and 19th German philosophy to make writing as horrifically ugly as possible.

I kinda blame Kant for this actually, as a trailblazer. His writing is famously bad and in a few places it seems even he gets confused by his convulted grammar:

Spoiler:

and I guess that sort of set the tone for what is expected from German thinkers.
    James
    James
    Admin

Post  James Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:53 am

Dùghall wrote:In a world ruled by vampires it actually fits even better to describe the Ghoul then Wink

Ha, thats a good point

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:09 pm